- PASADENA & CALIFORNIA
PASADENA & CALIFORNIA
- Although Pasadena is best known as the host of the annual Tournament of Roses Parade and Rose Bowl football game, the City also boasts numerous cultural amenities, fine restaurants and top retailers. All this helps Pasadena live up to the true meaning of its name—the Crown of the Valley.
- Did you know that Pasadena was first incorporated in 1886 to get rid of its saloon? Pasadena is the oldest suburb in Los Angeles.
- Pasadena used to be called the San Gabriel Orange Grove Association, but was renamed as Pasadena in 1875.
- Most of the original settlers came from Indiana. Many wealthy midwesterners came looking for a winter haven. Many of the grand Hotels like Castle Green and the del Arroyo Hotel opened to accommodate the rich and famous.
- The del Arroyo Hotel is now the Federal Court of Appeals.
- The first Pasadena school was started in 1874.
- Street numbers in Pasadena start at Colorado and Fair Oaks because the first General Store and the Post Office were there.
- The Tournament of Roses has a special pact with God since 1890’s. At least , that’s what the legend has it. “We won’t have a parade on Sunday, God won’t rain on our parade.” – so far God has lived up to His promise! The parade has never been cancelled due to rain.
- Pasadena provided relief after World War II to Ludwigshafen, Germany. Ludwigshafen became Pasadena’s first Sister City. There are four other Sister Cities: Mishima, Japan (1957); Jarvaenpaa, Finland (1983); Vanadzor, Armenia (1991); and Beijing, China (1999).
- Art Galleries include Pasadena Museum of California Art (PMCA), the Huntington Library and Art Collections, Norton Simon Museum, The Gamble House, Pasadena Museum of History, USC Pacific Asia Museum and the Kidspace Children’s Museum.
- Gardens include La Canada, Huntington Library Art Collections & Botanical Gardens, Descanso Gardens, Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Gardens, Wrigley Gardens, Storrier Stearns Japanese Garden
- Musical groups include the Pasadena Symphony, Chamber Group, Pasaenda Pops, and the MUSE/IQUE
- Major Scientific Institutions include, Caltech, JPL, Mount Wilson Observatory, Carnegie Observatories, Huntington Medical Research Institutes and the Oak Crest Institute of Science.
- Travelling by Light Rail in the Pasadena area is easier than taking the bus system.
- Uber is a fast way to get around and is generally less expensive than a taxi cab.
- California is home to many attractions, such as the Six Flags Magic Mountain Amusement Park, Universal Studios Hollywood and Disneyland
- Beverly Hills and Hollywood are on the doorsteps of Pasadena and only a short Uber trip away
- Year round sunshine and average high temperatures of 77F // 25C
- Located in the Pacific Time Zone (UTS/GMT -8:00).
Weather in July
- High: 89F // 32C
- Low: 60F // 16C
Electricity and Power
- Plug type: A; B
- Residential voltage: 120 V
- Frequency: 60 Hz
- US Dollars
- Almost all businesses in Pasadena accept major credit cards including Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- If you prefer to use cash, most banks are open Mondays to Fridays from 9am – 5pm, though specific branches may vary. Some banks are open on the weekends with shorter hours. Automated teller machines (ATMs) are available at many branches 24 hours a day.
- Pasadena has redeveloped the Old Town from a ghost town to a hopping foodie and shopping metropolis. The expansion of the Alfresco Paseo Colorado and a growing arts scene has helped Pasadena become a major shopping destination. From boutiques to bookstores there are so many places to shop and have fun!
- It is standard practice in service establishments to tip around 15% – 20%
Emergency and Safety
- While Pasadena is a safe city, it is always advisable to know about local safety services in the unlikely event of an emergency.
- For Medical or Life Threatening Emergencies Call: 911
- It is also advised to know the location and contact number of your country’s embassy in the event that your travel documents are lost.
- English and Spanish are widely spoken in southern California. The official language of the COSPAR 2018 Assembly is English.